Queen Cristina was a steam cargo ship built in 1901 by the Northumberland Shipbuilding Co of Newcastle for Thomas Dunlop & Sons of Glasgow. The ship was designed and built for general cargo trade and spent her career doing tramp trade. She was the second ship named Queen Cristina in service with the Queen Line.
After the first steamship Queen Cristina wrecked on Great Barrier Reef in 1899, Thomas Dunlop & Sons, owners of the Queen Line, ordered a new, bigger vessel to continue their Oriental trade. The vessel was laid down at Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. shipyard in Howdon and launched on 6 March 1901 (yard number 89), and after successful completion of sea trials on July 20, during which the ship could easily attain speed of 11.5 knots (13.2 mph; 21.3 km/h), Queen Cristina was handed over to her owners and sailed for New York. The vessel was built with a view to speed and fuel economy, and was primarily intended for general cargo trade, with several steam winches, and large number of cargo derricks installed to facilitate quick cargo loading and unloading process. In addition, the ‘tween decks were designed to accommodate a large number of emigrants, troops or cattle in case of need.
As built, the ship was 360 feet 0 inches (109.73 m) long (between perpendiculars) and 48 feet 0 inches (14.63 m)abeam, a meandraft of 20 feet 2 inches (6.15 m).Queen Cristina was assessed at 4,268 GRT and 2,804 NRT and had deadweight of approximately 7,000. The vessel had a steel hull, and a single 341 nhptriple-expansion steam engine, with cylinders of
23+1⁄2-inch (60 cm), 39-inch (99 cm) and 66-inch (170 cm) diameter with a 45-inch (110 cm)stroke, that drove a single screw propeller, and moved the ship at up to 10.0 knots (11.5 mph; 18.5 km/h).