The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC, Turkish Kuzey Kıbrıs Türk Cumhuriyeti) is a republic on the northern and eastern side of the island of Cyprus. Turkey is the only state which recognizes the TRNC. Cyprus is an island in the Mediterranean Sea, south of Turkey. After Sicily and Sardinia, Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean Sea.
Cyprus is divided into six administrative regions, each named for its administrative capital. The southern districts of Larnaca, Limassol, and Paphos, the southern portion of Nicosia district, and a small part of Famagusta district are administered by the Republic of Cyprus. Since 1974, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus has administered the following districts:
Note that Cypriot cities have a variety of historical spellings and writings, all in fairly common use, and which change according to the context, whether it be Greek Cypriot, Turkish Cypriot or English. The following list emphasizes traditional English spellings, that will most often be encountered by the traveller.
- 1 Nicosia (Lefkoşa / Lefkosia) – the divided capital, with the untouched beautiful historical buildings in the walled city and an increasingly vibrant city centre outside the walls
- 1 Kyrenia (Girne / Keryneia) – a beautiful Mediterranean city with a historical harbor, a castle overseeing it, and under the beautiful Beşparmak/Pentadaktylos mountains, swarming with good seaside hotels, beaches and clubs
- 1 Famagusta (Mağusa / Ammochostos) – home to a beautiful walled town, a ghost quarter under military control, good beaches and a vibrant nightlife
- Morphou (Güzelyurt / Omorfo) – the gateway to the greenest area of Northern Cyprus, surrounded by citrus trees, home to a historical church and a nostalgic town center
- Lefke (Lefka) – green and mountainous, home beautiful date trees and seaview, and a historical mosque, gateway to Dillirga, the remote and beautiful part of Northern Cyprus
- İskele (Trikomo) – small and similar to any major Cypriot village, gateway to the Karpaz Peninsula, beautiful beaches and home to good traditional restaurants.