Bradfordville is an unincorporated community in northern Leon County, Florida, United States. It is 8 miles (13 km) north of Tallahassee and south of the Florida/Georgia state line by 8 miles (13 km) at the intersection of US 319 and County Road 0342 (Bannerman Road/Bradfordville Road). Elevation is 237 feet (72 m).
Bradfordville has rolling hills and ravines spotted with lakes and ponds. Lake Iamonia, one of Florida’s larger natural lakes, is northwest of Bradfordville. Bradfordville is within the noted Red Hills Region.
The Bradfords were direct descendants of William Bradford, governor of the Plymouth Colony (Massachusetts). William’s great great grandson, John Bradford, received a land grant located in Halifax County, North Carolina from King George III of Great Britain. The mother of the Bradford sons, Sarah Cromwell Bradford, was a direct descendant of Oliver Cromwell.
- Thomas Anderson Bradford, born February 13, 1790 founded Walnut Hill Plantation
- Dr. William H. Bradford established Edgewood Plantation and became the doctor for Pine Hill Plantation’s slaves
- Henry B. Bradford born October 30, 1791 lived a little further south on what is now Thomasville Road in the same area as brother Thomas.
- Dr. Edward Bradford born August 2, 1798 founded Pine Hill Plantation. The most successful brother, he later founded Horseshoe Plantation east-southeast of Lake Iamonia. The plantation is still in existence today as a privately run hunting plantation.
- Richard Henry Bradford born November 15, 1800 founded Water Oak Plantation near Lake McBride
The Bradfordville School was constructed between the years 1884-1892 on a small piece of land owned by the Lester family. The school, a wood framed vernacular structure, represents a typical one-room schoolhouse mentioned in rural American history. It qualifies for the National Register and has been preserved and now resides on the southwest section of Bannerman Road. In 1886, a T. Hardenburgh established a broom factory in Bradfordville. Hardenburgh planted 5 acres (20,000 m2) of broom corn while Col. John R. Bradford planted 8 acres (32,000 m2) and another farmer planted 1-acre (4,000 m2). The 14 acres (57,000 m2) combined supplied the factory with enough material to keep it in operation for a year.
In the early 1900s, Bradfordville had two general stores, a justice of the peace (Judge Whitehead), and a Saturday meat market ran by Tommy Carr. Greene Johnson ran a trading post that supplied staple goods like sugar and flour. Today that building, after restoration, is an animal hospital.
Bradfordville is now an area with a few large homes and is at the east-southeast tip of the large housing development of Killearn Lakes Plantation. It is mostly a major commercial area that contains Lawton Chiles High School, 4 branch banks, 3 major retail stores (Target, Publix, Walgreens) plus a variety of other smaller retail stores.
The proposed Red Hills Coastal Parkway, a tolled eastern bypass of Tallahassee, would have its northern terminus in Bradfordville.