Matti Antero Karjalainen (April 2, 1946 – May 30, 2010) studied electronics at the Tampere University of Technology and received a doctoral degree on speech synthesis in 1978. He developed Synte 2 the first portable microprocessor-based text-to-speech synthesizer in the world.
He was the head of Acoustics Laboratory at the Helsinki University of Technology from 1980 to 2006. He is speech synthesis, speech analysis, speech technology, audio signal processing and psychoacoustics pioneer in Finland. He became an associate professor 1980 and a full professor 1986. He was the supervisor of 24 doctoral theses and over 100 master’s theses. His laboratory is now part of the Department of Signal Processing and Acoustics of the Aalto University.
- Audio Engineering Society Fellow (1999), for significant contribution to the areas of audio signal processing and education in audio
- Audio Engineering Society Silver Medal (2006), in recognition of outstanding scientific contributions to the audio industry in acoustics, auralization, and digital signal processing and synthesis
- IEEE Fellow (2009) 
Karjalainen studied at the Tampere University of Technology, where he obtained a M.Sc. (Dipl.Eng.) in 1970, a Lic.Tech. in 1974, and a Dr.Tech. (with honors) in 1978. 
- Master’s thesis
“Elektroninen lämpöenergian mittari“. (Electronic thermal energy meter)
- Licentiate thesis “Eräiden monikaistasuotimien eli monijakoisten säädettävien amplitudikäyräkorjaimien toimintaperiatteiden ja sovellutusten tutkiminen“. (A Study on Multi-Band Audio Frequency Equalizers)
- PhD thesis An Approach to Hierarchical Information Processes with an Application to Speech Synthesis by Rule. Tampere University of Technology, Finland. (Acta Polytechnica Scandinavica, Ma 29). ISBN 951-666-105-X.
- Karjalainen, M.A. & Laine, U.K. & Toivonen, R.O. (1980). “Aids for the handicapped based on “Synte 2″ speech synthesizer”. ICASSP ’80. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing(PDF). 5. ICASSP-80, April 9–11, 1980. pp. 851–854. doi:10.1109/ICASSP.1980.1171070. S2CID 3209817. Archived from the original(PDF) on 2019-07-27.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Karjalainen, Matti (1980). Design of a microprocessor-based system for speech analysis. Tampere University of Technology, Department of Electronics, Finland. ISBN 951-720-490-6.