Swartz Creek Community School District is a public school district in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan and in the Genesee Intermediate School District. The School District serves the City of Swartz Creek, parts of Flint, Flint Charter Township, Gaines Township, Clayton Township, Argentine Township and Village of Lennon even over into Shiawassee County.
S.T. Crapo donated part of the Crapo Farm land $40,000 which the school district matched with a bond to build the Mary Crapo School, named in honor of former Michigan Governor Henry H. Crapo‘s wife, with construction begin in 1928 and opened in 1929. The building original held all grades including kindergarten. The first graduating class of 1930 had four students.
With consolidation of a number of one room schoolhouse districts, Mary Crapo had a western wing added. The current high school was built in 1958 followed by the middle school and most of the current elementary schools. In 1983, Center Stage community theater group made Mary Crapo its performance home.
On May 8, 2008, two bond millage were on the ballot, one for a new high school and technology upgrades. The second to build an auditorium at the new high school.
The Building and Site Fund levy was renewed at a 1.8 mills in May 2011. The school board agreed on June 9, 2011 to purchase the Cage Fieldhouse from Cage Management Group for additional sports practice space with the Cage Group to manage the facility. On June 23, 2011, the school board approved the design of the performing arts center. The center was funded via a qualified school construction bond, a part of the federal stimulus package, to be paid back via the existing Building and Site Fund millage. The center was official opened on September 5, 2013. The center was official opened on September 5, 2013. Center Stage held 100 plays at Mary Crapo by the time they left the school in 2013.
In June 2014, Swartz Creek and Clio School District agreed to share administrative staff. First, the two district agreed to share a finance director follow by sharing an executive director of personnel.
In early 2018, the school board voted to close Mary Crapo building at the end of the school year and move the Child Development Center and Swartz Creek Academy (alternative education) to a former doctor’s office on Morrish Road and to the middle school, respectively. The move would cost less than the $625,000 needed to fix and upgrade Crapo.