From Panajachel or San Pedro you can take a public “taxi” boat to Santa Cruz for 10/20Q per person. They pass by every 30 min or so from 6am to 7pm. Can ask the boat captain to drop you in any hotel you choose. If you prefer a private boat call Lee at Los Elementos to pick you up at the private dock in Pana. Groups up to 6 are Q150 each way, Q15 per person up to 8 people. 53598328. The private boat is also available after hours.
To get the feel of the town the best option is to walk around. The public trail system is extensive and will lead you through many tropical gardens and to hidden waterfalls. One of the most beautiful hikes on the lake is between Santa Cruz and Jaibalito. There is road access, but the road is really only suitable for heavy-duty vehicles. It’s far more practical to get there/away by boat. You can stop a public taxi boat any time to go any other town or spot around the lake.
Walk, walk, walk and enjoy the scenery. You can stop for a swim or at the different cozy hotels and restaurants around this charming little town.
- Skin Diving Rentals at La Iguana Perdida
- Nature Preserve nearby
- Apparently the only town around the lake that offers waterskiing.
- San Pedro night life a short water taxi ride away but none of the hassle or theft.
- Los Elementos Kayak and Adventure Center, Santa Cruz la Laguna (next to Isla Verde, west end), ☎+502 5359 8328. Kayak tours and rentals, hiking and camping, and the best swim beach in Santa Cruz. Also private boat tours and rentals for exploring more remote areas of Lake Atitlan. Multi-day kayak excursions are an excellent way to absorb the true flavor of the lake. Accommodations available on-site.
- Los Elementos Day Spa, Santa Cruz la Laguna (next to Isla Verde), ☎+502 40953751. Lake front spa offering massage, yoga, manicures, waxing, and hair services. Come and relax for an hour or a day. Enjoy a swim on the best beach in Santa Cruz, relax in one of our many lounge areas, and indulge in one or more of the many spa services we offer.
- Santa Cruz Spanish School, at the Art Gallery (Next to the Juzgado de Paz), ☎+502 53 55 88 49, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Led by Pedro Juan Solis, who is the founder of the school that enthusiastically works for the school and provides the opportunity to teachers and students to share their different cultures and lifestyles. individual training US$5-$10/hr for 10-30 hrs/week. Add $65/week for homestay.