S2 Games was a video game development company which was founded by Marc “Maliken” DeForest, Jesse Hayes, and Sam McGrath, based in Rohnert Park, California. They also had a development location in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
The company slogan was Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
Their first project (a real-time strategy, third-person shooter and role-playing game hybrid), Savage: The Battle for Newerth, was released in the Summer of 2003. They released its sequel, Savage 2: A Tortured Soul, on January 16, 2008, and are independently publishing and distributing it. Their latest installment in the Newerth series, Heroes of Newerth, based heavily around Defense of the Ancients, was released on May 12, 2010.
- Savage: The Battle for Newerth (2003) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Savage 2: A Tortured Soul (2008) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Heroes of Newerth (2010) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Strife (2015) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Savage Resurrection (2016) (Windows)
- Brawl of Ages (2017) (Windows)
- In 2003, S2 Games released Savage: The Battle for Newerth, their first commercial game.
- In 2004, three former S2 Games employees left the company to form Offset Software.
- In 2006, S2 Games re-released Savage: The Battle for Newerth, as freeware.
- In 2008, S2 Games released Savage 2: A Tortured Soul.
- In 2009, S2 Games re-released Savage 2: A Tortured Soul as freeware.
- In 2010, S2 Games released Heroes of Newerth.
- In 2011, S2 Games re-released Heroes of Newerth as freeware/free-to-play.
- In 2012, S2 Games made all heroes in Heroes of Newerth completely free for online play.
- In 2012, over 10,000,000 Heroes of Newerth user accounts had been registered.
- In 2013, S2 Games announced Strife an upcoming “second generation MOBA”.
- In 2015, S2 Games sold the property of Heroes of Newerth from its label into the hands of Garena and Frostburn Studios.
- In 2017, Savage Resurrection was re-released under a free-to-play model.
- In 2018, Strife and Brawl of Ages servers were shut down and S2 Games was quietly closed.