Kwaku Aning (born in 1946) is a Ghanaiandiplomat, international civil servant and technologist who is Chairman of the governing board of the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission, having been appointed in July 2017. Aning is a former Deputy Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
As Deputy Director General, he was head of the Department of Technical Cooperation at the International Atomic Energy Agency, an international agency under the auspices of the United Nations. He took up his position on January 1, 2010 and ended in June, 2015.
Prior to his appointment as Deputy Director-General, he served as the Director and Secretary of the Policy Making Organs of the IAEA. He has also been the Representative of the IAEA Director General to the United Nations. He is a member of the board of trustees of Kuwait‘s Al-Sumait Prize for African Development.
In September 2015, Aning became a Governor of IAEA Board of Governors and still serves in this position.
Aning was born in 1946 in Ghana. He was educated at Accra Academy, a high school in Accra, Ghana. Aning completed a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering in 1968 from the University of Science and Technology, graduating with first class honours, as one of the first four persons to obtain first class honours in the Engineering Sciences from the university. That same year, he entered Princeton University receiving a Masters in Solid State Physics in 1971. Aning obtained a doctoral degree in metallurgy from Columbia University in 1976.
Aning started his working career as a Technical Advisor to the UN Conference on Science and Technology for Development. In January 1980, Aning became a Senior Scientific Affairs Officer of the UN Centre for Science and Technology, remaining in this position for the next twelve years. He worked in this role which had a special focus on science and technology development of developing countries. Aning moved on to the UN Peacekeeping Department, working as a Regional Election Officer for the period between March 1992 to June 1994 . Aning was made a Senior Officer, Office of the Secretary-General later on within August 1998 and January 2000.
Aning is the Chairman of the Nuclear Power Institute, GAEC. Aning is also Chairman of the Governing Board, Ghana Atomic Energy Commission.
Aning married Arafua Apaloo-Aning, a political activist and keen gardener
- “New Representative of the IAEA Director General to the United Nations” (Press release). International Atomic Energy Agency. 15 February 2000. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- “DG of International Atomic Energy Agency to visit Ghana”. ghanaweb.com. 18 Jan 2005.
- “IAEA Management Team”. iaea.org. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Valdre, Pim (28 February 2012). “Interview with Dr. Kwaku Aning, International Atomic Energy Agency”. theglobalobservatory.org. International Peace Institute. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- “The winner of Kuwait’s Al-Sumait Prize for African Development for 2017 in the field of Education today received their award at a special ceremony held in Kuwait City – CNBC Africa”. CNBC Africa. 2017-12-14. Retrieved 2018-04-22.
- “Accra Aca Is Calling”. ghanaweb.com. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
- Ghana News Agency. “Ghanaian gets maiden African appointment at IAEA”. ghanadot.com.
- “Nuclear Power prospects bright- Ghanaian engineers push for support”. ghanaweb.com. 21 May 2018.
- “Appreciate research value for quality healthcare – Dr.Aning”. ghanaweb.com. 23 May 2018.
- “How two dynamic women are helping to green Ghana”. B&Ft.