Cotia is a city with a population of some 200,000 spread over an area of 323.891km². It contains a great number of stores, restaurants, big and small shopping centers, which attracts new residents that settle mostly in the wealthy region of Granja Viana.
There are daily interurban buses that can be taken at the district of Pinheiros, in São Paulo.
Cotia is crossed by the Rodovia Raposo Tavares (SP-270), which serves as its major road and connection with São Paulo. It is also possible to reach it via the Castello Branco and Regis Bittencourt highways, but you will have to take the Rodoanel and eventually reach Raposo Tavares anyway. Raposo Tavares is constantly congested during rush hour, so it’s always best to avoid it during the periods.
As mentioned above, Rodovia Raposo Tavares is the main road crossing the street and it is well-served by a number of lines, but they may be crowded and/or stuck in traffic constantly.
The city center can be covered with a walk. The districts of Granja Viana and Caucaia do Alto are more sparsely populated and may need a car ride for a complete visit. Bus lines there are not so plenty, and most of them are interurban, which means higher prices.
The district of Granja Viana (sometimes spelled Granja Vianna) is one of the three districts that make up the municipality of Cotia and the first one if you come from São Paulo via Raposo Tavares highway. The district is filled with middle/upper class condos and has a number of restaurants, shopping centers, parks and other features worth visiting.
Granja Viana was once formed by a small number of big farms. The owners of such properties decided to divide them into smaller lots and sell them, giving way to the many houses that now exist there. In the last decades, many people from São Paulo saw Granja Viana as a refuge from the city’s pollution, violence and traffic jam. Nowadays, because too many people moved, the same problems from São Paulo now exist in Granja Viana, as well, though with smaller intensity.
- Centro Cultural Wurth, Rua Adolf Wurth, 557, ☎+55 11 4613-1894, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A cultural and business center with a theater, a lounge and rooms for meetings, exhibitions and happy hours. There are also some apartments.
- 1 Parque Cemucam, Rua Mesopotâmia, s/nº (Exit Rodovia Raposo Tavares (São Paulo heading) by km 25), ☎+55 11 4702-2126. The park actually belongs to the city of São Paulo. It’s equipped with jogging and BMX tracks, barbecue grills, courts and fields and large open fields. There are many security guards patrolling the area, so it’s a rather safe place. Free. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Parque Teresa Maia, Rua Santarém, 13, Parque São George, ☎+55 11 4702-3964. A small park with playground, an open air gym for the elderly, a lake with ducks and fish and a small forest with trails. It hosts weekly on Sundays the Ecofeira (lit. Ecofair), with organic food and handicraft by local producers. Free. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Templo Budista Zu Lai, Estrada Fernando Nobre, 1461 (When heading west, exit Raposo Tavares by km 28,5), ☎+55 11 4612 2895, e-mail: email@example.com. 12PM-5PM (ftuesdays to fridays); 9:30AM-5PM (Saturdays, Sundays and holidays). Perhaps the most famous touristic spot in Cotia, it is one of the largest Buddhist temples in Latin America, built in the middle of a large, beautiful and well-preserved garden. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Paróquia Santo Antônio, Rua Santo Antônio, 486, ☎+55 11 4702 2295. Masses on tuesdays at 4PM; sundays at 8AM, 9:30AM, 11AM and 7PM. (updated Nov 2015)
- Templo Odsal Linkg, Rua dos Agrimensores, 1461, ☎+55 11 4703 4099. Open for visitations on Saturdays and Sundays from 10AM to 3PM. A Tibetan Buddhist temple, not as big as Zu Lai, but equally worth a visit. (updated Nov 2015)
- Orquidário Mucuripe, Rua Manoel Lajes do Chão, 2293, ☎+55 11 4703 3866. Everyday from 9Am to 5PM (gourmet space opened only on weekends and holidays). An orchidarium with leisure for the family. (updated Nov 2015)
- Orquidário Maylasky, Rodovia Raposo Tavares, km 55, ☎+55 11 4714 4191. Everyday from 9Am to 5PM. An orchidarium with orchids direct from the produce. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Cia dos Bichos, Estrada do Capuava, 2990. A mini farm. (updated Nov 2015)