Larkana is the fourth largest city in Sindh. It serves as the HQ of the district of Larkana. It is largely known throughout Pakistan for its association with the Bhutto family.
The historical name of Larkana until the year 1901 was Chandka. In August 2000, Larkana celebrated the hundredth anniversary of its founding.
In the Sindhi language, the name of the city is pronounced ‘Larkano’.
The closest airport is 30 km away in Mohenjo-daro, from where you can get direct flights from Karachi. Pakistan’s national carrier PIA operates direct and non-direct flights from Karachi to Mohenjo-daro. Direct flights run four times a week and take one hour, while the non-direct flights make a stop at Sukkur Airport and operate only on Fridays.
Larkana railway station serves the city. There are two trains each day briefly stop at Larkana railway station: the Bolan Mail is run between Karachi and Quetta and has economical and air-conditioned class, while the Khushal Khan Khattak Express is run between Karachi and Peshawar and has only economical class.
If coming from Karachi, there are A/C and non-A/C buses between Karachi and Larkana, which can be found at “Blue Lines bus station” (Dr Daud Pota Rd) near the Cantonment railway station in Karachi. A ride on bus from Karachi may take 10-hour-long journey and seat in an air-condition bus may cost around Rs 800.
From Sukkur, buses for Larkana may take 2-3 hours.
There are plenty of taxis, buses, vans and motorcycle rickshaws in city.
Most people come to visit Mohenjo-daro, which is thoroughly covered in its own article.
- Jhoker Jo Daro. Another archaelological site in the district.
- 1 Mausoleum of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (Bhutto family mausoleum), Garhi Khuda Bakhsh (28 km away from Larkana city). The mazar is notable for containing the graves of the Bhutto family members. People from all over Pakistan come to this mazar throughout the year.
- Sukarno Tower. Built in the middle of the town, this monument was presented by the Indonesian president Sukarno on visit to Larkana.
- There is another monument which was given by the founder of modern Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, on a visit to Larkana.
- Zulfiqar Bagh. Take an evening stroll in the park.