Malet Lambert is a secondary school for 11- to 16-year-old pupils in Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The school is situated on James Reckitt Avenue in the east of the city, its front facade overlooks East Park. Malet Lambert opened in 1932 and became a grammar school in 1944 before becoming a community comprehensive in 1969. The school converted to academy status in September 2015.
Malet Lambert opened in September 1932, established by the local education authority, as a replacement for the overcrowded Craven Street Municipal Secondary established in 1893 by the school board as Hull’s second higher-grade board school. The original site was on Holderness Road but it was turned down because it was too expensive at £500. A site was chosen along James Reckitt Avenue in the East Hull suburbs, overlooking East Park. The main school building was designed as a two-storey Neo-Georgian building, with a central spine encompassing offices, library, assembly hall and gymnasium. All the classrooms were to face south, extending out in two wings with the science laboratories along the sides. Originally, girls were taught in the first floor classrooms and boys on the ground floor, a system which was kept in place for many years.
The original building was designed to accommodate about 600 pupils. New ancillary rooms to the rear of the main hall, changing rooms and two Physics laboratories were constructed in 1955. Followed in 1961 by a building known as the ‘Glass House’ which was used for Home Economics (the building was demolished in 2000). A Sixth Form centre was constructed in 1972 and converted into a music block in 1986. A sports centre was built to the west of the main building in 1985 and the West Playshed was converted into an art block in 1995. A new Technology block opened in 2000 following the demolition of the existing accommodation and a building for the use of Science and Geography was opened in 2001 by Lord Dearing and named The Dearing Centre.
Malet Lambert had a Sixth form until the reorganisation of schools in Hull in 1988, which saw the disappearance of Sixth Forms in Hull state schools.
Malet Lambert was completely refurbished as part of Building Schools for the Future (BSF). The school was placed into ‘Phase 1’ of the Hull scheme in 2006 and preliminary plans were drawn up in 2008. After extensive consultation with staff, pupils and the local community revised plans were drawn up by HKS architects in the summer of 2010. The £22 million scheme was a part rebuild/part remodel. Only 3 of the 10 original buildings (The Main Building, The Dearing Centre and The Lodge) were retained. A new dedicated sports centre was constructed on the west field behind the existing sports hall along with a new staff car park, 3G pitch and netball courts. The main Neo-Georgian school building was extensively refurbished both internally and externally, restoring it back to its former elegance with the integration of new technology. A new two-storey rear extension, connected to the existing main building, was constructed. This encloses the two quad areas, one of which is covered with an ETFE transparent roof and became the school’s new dining facility. The Dearing Centre, which was built in 2001 to house Science and Geography, was internally remodelled, the remodelling started in the 2012 October half term. Construction work began in March 2011 with completion in September 2012. During refurbishment there were temporary blocks accommodating the pupils. School building work was completed by September 2012, with external landscaping completed by the end of 2012.
The first headteacher was Harry Shoosmith. Shoosmith was succeeded as Headmaster in 1951 by Mr L.C.Parslow, in 1970 by Eric Davies, who died in post, and in 1973 by Friedrich Heinrich Grewe. John Andrews MAAKC was headmaster from 1978 to 1998. Sheila Ireland was the school’s head teacher for several years before being succeeded by Jane Disbery in 2006 until her death in August 2015. Chris Abbott was Executive Principal until Deputy Head Mr Patrick Sprakes was voted to be the headteacher in February 2016.