The factory of Tanzania Portland Cement Public Limited Company is located on Wazo Hill, along the Dar es Salaam–Bagamoyo Road, approximately 18 kilometres (11 mi), by road, northwest of downtown Dar es Salaam, Tanzania’s commercial and financial capital. The geographical coordinates of the Twiga Cement factory are:06°39’47.0″S, 39°10’03.0″E (Latitude:-6.663064; Longitude:39.167502).
Twiga Cement is large cement manufacturer, that manufactures three brands of portland cement; (a) Twiga Ordinary (b) Twiga Plus+ and (c) Twiga Extra. In 2014, the factory expanded and increased its manufacturing capacity to 1,900,000 tonnes (2,094,391 tons) annually.
According to the company’s annual report, in December 2018, the company’s total assets were TSh:322.76 billion (US$141 million), with shareholders’ equity of TSh:224.94 billion (US$98 million). That year, the company employed 285 people.
The company was founded in 1959 as Tanzania Portland Cement Company, producing its first bag of cement in mid-1966. It was a joint venture between Cementia AG of Switzerland, with 80 percent shareholding and the government of Tanzania, through the Tanzania Development Corporation, owning 20 percent. In 1967, the government increased its ownership to 50 percent. In 1973 the company was nationalized with the government of Tanzania now owning 100 percent of the company.
In 1992, the government sold 13 percent ownership to Scancem International ANS of Norway and noter 13 percent to Swedfund International AB of Sweden. The government retained 74 percent ownership. In 1998 the company was re-privatized. At that time, the shareholding in the company was as illustrated in the table below.