The Southern fringes of Kolkata are in Southeast Bengal.
The rapidly mushrooming neighbourhoods to the south of the city include Tollygunge, Behala, Joka, Pailan, Jadavpur, Garia and Narendrapur. New areas are being continuously developed and added to the city. Traditionally a part of the South 24 Parganas district the area now forms part of the added on areas of Kolkata. Kolkata is a British-built city, but the southern fringes were left by the British as virtually a big semi-urban slum area soon teeming with millions of refugees from East Pakistan. The transformation to a modern city has been spectacular – with slums here and there, a reminder of the harrowing post partition days. Most of the refugee colonies now sport a brighter look.
Large number of bus routes from other parts of Kolkata and outside Kolkata ply into this area. AC buses have also started plying as for example from Sulekha to Rajarhat and from Tollygunge to airport.
Some of the important bus stands / stops are:
- 1 Ajaynagar Morh bus stop. There are many long distance buses from places like Baruipur and Sonarpur in the south to places like Airport, Barasat and Dakhineswar which avoid he city crowds and travel via EM Bypass. This is the bus stop from where people of Santoshpur and the surrounding areas can board such buses. Mukundapur is nearby. It has many hospitals and many budget guest houses and hotels have sprung up.
- 1 Avisikta Morh bus stop. It is at the meeting point of the Prince Anwar Shah Road Connector and EM By Pass, near Kalikapur and Anandapur crossings. There is a Spencer’s outlet nearby.
- 1 Bagha Jatin Morh bus stop. Auto link to Rani Kuthi
- 1 Behala Chowrasta bus stop.
- 1 Behala Manton bus stop.
- 1 Behala Parnasree Pally bus stand.
- 1 Garia No.5 bus stand (lotus cinema). Garia has three bus stands. This depot handles buses coming along Raja SC Mullick Road. The second bus depot handles buses coming along NSC Bose Road. There is a bus stand near Padmashri cinema hall, handling 45, 45A and 45B. The Garia-Gol Park autos leave from opposite No. 5 Bus Stand.
- 1 Garia No. 6 bus stand. This bus depot handles buses coming along NSC Bose Road. Buses travelling south of Garia are handled by either No. 5 or No. 6 depot depending on the direction they are coming from. Autos on the Garia-Tollyguge route leave from near this bus stand. There also are autos for Boral.
- 1 Golf Green bus stand, 18/3 Uday Shankar Sarani. Bus terminus for 234, 234/1,17A, 223, AC 43 (Golf Green- Airport via sector 5 & New Town) AC9A (Golf Green-Dakhineswar) and Golf Green-Howrah mini. Auto link to Lake Garden/ Lords Morh.
- 1 Jadavpur 8B bus stand. It is terminus for S9, E1, AC1, AC 9, S19, S31, S8B & AC 9B buses and Jadavpur-Airport and Jadavpur-Purbachal (via Diamond Harbour Road) minis. Auto to Nayabad, Rani Kuthi, Tollygunge Metro and Taratala (bit infrequent). Garia-Golpark auto passes through.
- 1 Jadavpur Thana More bus stop. Important crossing point. Terminus for 240 (Jodhpur Park-Baghbazar). Many buses and minis travelling south for Jadavpur, Santoshpur and Garia pass through here. Anwar Shah Road-Nimtala minibus passes through here. All Golf Green buses pass through here.Auto routes: Garia-Gol Park, Jadabpur-Taratala.
- 1 Joka Tram Depot bus stand.
- 1 KamalGazi More bus stand. narendrapur
- 1 RaniKuthi bus stop. Buses, minibuses, autos plying along NSC Bose Road between Tollygunge and Garia pass through here. Auto links to Jadavpur 8B and Bagha Jatin Morh.
- 1 Santoshpur Jora Bridge bus stop. Buses may available to some important places, such as- Howrah, Burrabazar, Ultadanga, Sealdah, College Street, Airport, Birati, Kalighat, Behala, Park street, Esplanade, Chadni chowk, B.B.D bag, tea board, new town, sector 5, Karunamoyee, Beleghata, Saltlake, Santragachi, vidyasagar setu, pts, alipore zoo, park circus & nabanna. Except Dakhineshar & Belur math. Some important bus services- 1A Mukundapur-Ramnagar (via Santoshpur, alipore zoo, kalighat, Khiddirpore). 1B Nayabad(Garia stn.)- Ramnagar( via santoshpur, Golpark, New Alipore). S9/AC9 Jadavpur- Saltlake, Karunamoyee(via santoshpur, E.M. Byepass, Bikasbhawan, Central Park). MW-1(ac) Jadavpur(sulekha)- unitech(via Santoshpur, E.M. Byepass, Niccopark, Sec5, New Town). S4B haridevpur-newtown(via Tollgunge, Ranikuthi, Baghajatin, Santoshpur, E.M. Byepass, Sec5) S5C(Old C5) nayabad(garia stn)-howrah station(via santoshpur , kalighat) SD16 Mukundapur-serakole(via santoshpur, amtala, behala). AC37B Airport Gate No.1 – Garia 5 Bus Stand (AC)(santoshpur, E.M.Byepass). M2 tollygunje- birati (via santoshpur, airport) tollygunge -ultadanga / airport shuttle(via santoshpur), AC 9B Jadavpur- Ecospace ( via santoshpur,sector 5,new town, unitech),206 new garia metro- saltlake(via santoshpur,esplanade, tea board, chudney chowk, college street, ultadanga, sealdah) 37A Nayabad-Howrah(via santoshpur,kalighat,park street,rashbihari, gariahut, hazra) santoshpur bbd bag mini (via santoshpur,park street)
- 1 Taratala Morh bus stop.
- 1 Tollygunge Phanri bus stop. All buses and minibuses travelling south to Tollygunge Metro and beyond pass through here. Auto link:Tollyguge-Hazra Morh.