Glen Burnie

Glen Burnie, with its neighbor Linthicum, has a population of about 45,000 in Central Maryland, just south of Baltimore. It is home to BWI Airport.

. . . Glen Burnie . . .

In 1812, Elias Glenn, a district attorney, established a county seat near what is now known as Brooklyn Park. He named his property “Glennsburne”.

The name was changed to “Glennsbourne Farm”, and eventually “Glenburnie”, as the property was passed through Glenn’s descendants. Records also show the name as “Tracey’s Station” and “Myrtle”, after local postmaster Samuel Sewell Tracey and one of Tracey’s boarders, before the final decision was made.

In 1854, William Wilkins Glenn, Elias Glenn’s grandson, incorporated the Curtis Creek Mining, Furnace and Manufacturing Company into his family’s property. The business flourished during the 19th century, and with it came several thousand acres of land in northern Anne Arundel County.

Upon the death of William Wilkins Glenn, his son, brother and nephew began to manage the family’s business affairs, and Glenburnie became an official state subdivision in 1888. The Glenn family contracted George T. Melvin and Henry S. Mancha to lay out and promote the town. It would not be until 1930 that postmaster Louis J. DeAlba decided two words were better than one, and changed the town’s name to Glen Burnie.

. . . Glen Burnie . . .

This article is issued from web site Wikivoyage. The original article may be a bit shortened or modified. Some links may have been modified. The text is licensed under “Creative Commons – Attribution – Sharealike” [1] and some of the text can also be licensed under the terms of the “GNU Free Documentation License” [2]. Additional terms may apply for the media files. By using this site, you agree to our Legal pages . Web links: [1] [2]

. . . Glen Burnie . . .