The 1982 United States Senate election in Ohio took place on November 2, 1982. Incumbent Democratic U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum was re-elected to a second term in office, defeating Republican State Senator Paul Pfeifer. Along with the gubernatorial election that same year, this election is the last time Butler County voted Democratic in a statewide election.
- Norbert G. Dennerll, former Cleveland City Councilman
- Howard Metzenbaum, incumbent Senator
- John Ashbrook, U.S. Representative from Newark (died April 24)
- Walter E. Beckjord
- Richard H. Englefield (write-in)
- Paul Pfeifer, State Senator from Bucyrus
- Bill Ress, State Senator from New Philadelphia (write-in)
Most polls showed U.S. Representative John Ashbrook winning the primary with a plurality, but he died on April 24 from a gastric hemorrhage.
Ashbrook supporter and State Senator Bill Ress launched a write-in campaign with the endorsement of Jean Spencer Ashbrook, the Representative’s widow.