The Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) is a not-for-profit membership organization serving the independent publishing community through advocacy and education. With nearly 3,000 members, IBPA is the largest publishingtrade association in the United States. IBPA programs and publications include the Benjamin Franklin Awards, Publishing University,  and the monthly Independent Magazine. IBPA was founded in 1983 as the Publishers Association of Southern California (PASCAL). It later became the Publishers Marketing Association (PMA). It adopted its present name in 2008.
The Benjamin Franklin Awards honor independent publishers and self-publishedauthors for excellence in book editorial and design. Prizes are given in a number of categories. IBPA members, as well as librarians, reviewers, editors and bookstore owners choose the winners and provide feedback to the authors about their books.
IBPA’s Publishing University is a two-day networking and educational event. Hosted annually, the program includes learning labs and a book-award ceremony.
In March 2017, the IBPA Advocacy Committee published an Industry Standards Checklist for a Professionally Published Book. The purpose of the checklist is to give independent publishers an at-a-glance gauge of the professional presentation of any book in order to help level the playing field between indie publishers and large-scale conglomerates.
- “Q&A: IBPA Director Angela Bole on Self-Publishing and the Digital Future”. Digital Book World. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- “Publishers Marketing Association Celebrates Anniversary, Changes Name”. Poets & Writers. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- “IBPA Publishing University 2016, and Book Launch Agony & Ecstasy”. The Book Designer. Marin Bookworks. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- “Moving on at PMA”. Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- “2014 IBPA Benjamin Franklin Award in History Recognizes ‘Twice Heroes’”JAVA Advocate – Summer 2014, Japanese American Veterans Association.
- BEA 2014: IBPA Reveals 2014 Benjamin Franklin Winners. Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- IBPA Announces Benjamin Franklin Independent Book Awards. Digital Book World. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- “IBPA Publishing University Features Chandler and Piersanti Keynotes”. PublishersWeekly.com.
- “IBPA Publishing University Partners with NYU and Pace University to Bring Continuing Education to Publishing Students”. Book Business.
- “Industry Standards Checklist – Independent Book Publishers Association”. www.ibpa-online.org. Retrieved 2019-01-26.